The City of Maryland Heights incorporated in 1985. The City covers 23.14 square miles. Maryland Heights has over 26,000 residents as calculated in the 2010 Census. We continue to grow in many wonderful ways.
The name Maryland Heights came from the first settlers, who came to the area from Maryland. The rolling hills in the northeast section of town reminded them of their home state. The name was formalized in 1914 by Goke Real Estate.
The earliest settlers in the present day City of Maryland Heights were Indian. By the 1700’s, European settlers had begun to migrate from the east in search of land. In the late 1700’s, Indian attacks forced the European settlers to band together to form permanent, fortified settlements, such as the Village of Marias des Liards, which was located in the present day City of Bridgeton.
Prior to being called Maryland Heights, the area was called Mokeville after the local blacksmith, George Moke. In 1900, the name was changed from Mokeville to Castello in honor of the Mayor of St. Ferdinand (now Florissant), Charles Castello, in the 1860’s. The northeast part of the city was in the same township as St. Ferdinand.
A substantial increase in population and the increase of suburbia after World War II changed the fabric and character of the Maryland Heights area. Many communities in St. Louis County were transformed from semi-rural areas to developed suburbs. The islands of established residential communities became surrounded by new subdivisions and urban type development. The adjacent communities of St. Ann and Bridgeton expanded and began to rapidly annex land in the direction of Maryland Heights.
The development of the Maryland Heights area was further facilitated by large roadway construction projects in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Improvements to major transportation arterials, such as Lindbergh Boulevard, Midland Avenue, and Dorsett Road were completed during this time. Construction of Interstate 70 and Interstate 270 began under the Federal Interstate Highway Act passed by Congress in 1956.
The city now employs more than 180 people, has started an extensive infrastructure rebuilding program, and supports a healthy parks and recreation system.